Introduction

AudioGrub is a music and recipe sharing blog where I use my out-of-practice culinary talent and keen musical sense to create recipes with soundtracks.


Sunday, September 23, 2012

Salted Caramel Espresso Cupcakes


I realize that I've been out of the blogosphere for the better part of this last year. There have been a handful of drastic changes in my life; some for the better, some that I have yet to fully analyze. With a majority of my despairs behind me, I move forward with my passion for all things consumed.

This particular recipe is something I came up with 6 months ago. The first go-around was an absolute disaster and I felt rather devastated by it. This one is perfect, though. All my friends can attest to it.

| ESPRESSO CUPCAKES WITH CARAMEL CREAM CHEESE FROSTING AND SUGAR SALT TOPPING |



What You'll Need:

| FOR THE CUPCAKES |

1 cup almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar 
Slightly less than 1 cup sugar
1/3 cup veg oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup AP flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 packets Starbucks VIA
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips


| FOR THE FROSTING |

Take extra care to make sure these ingredients are cold!
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
1/4 cup crisco or earth balance
1/2 lb powdered sugar, sifted
1 1/2 tbs almond milk
1-2 tsp starbucks caramel extract

| FOR THE TOPPING |
1/4 cup raw sugar
2 Tbs kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees and get groovin.



1. Mix the milk and vinegar and let it curdle. This may sound disgusting, but this reaction is necessary in order to exclude eggs from the recipe.

2. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla, and chocolate chips.

3. Whisk until foamy

4. In a separate bowl, sift the other ingredients. 

5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in three batches.

6. Stir just until there are no lumps remaining

7. Portion the batter into a mini cupcake pan (3/4 of the way full for each cupcake) or demi tasse cups. Or both. Whatever.

8. Put the cupcakes in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes.

9. While the cakes are cooling, pull your icing ingredients from the fridge and cream them all together until smooth.

10. Mix the raw sugar and salt together. Ice your cakes and sprinkle the mixture on top!

:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comment on this!